Humpty Dumpty’s Workout
By: Marylin Salgado
July 30, 2019
There’s a fruit name for just about every female body shape out there…banana, apple, pear; but the only one body shape that compares someone to the shape of an egg is the Humpty Dumpty body shape. If you look like a pear, more than likely your hips are bigger than your breasts. If you are an apple then your upper body is much wider. And if you are a banana, you have a short torso and long legs. But, if you are a guy, there’s really no body shape to compare you to other then built, chubby or even daddy bod aka pudgy.
The point is, out of all the body shapes, the Humpty Dumpty is considered the most awkward and the hardest to work out and shape. The upper body is massively wide compared to the legs, which usually look shorter and skinnier. More times than not, this wide body shape is not muscle, but just lots of fat and completely unattractive bulge; and it happens to both men and women. Most importantly, people with this body shape can suffer from Diabetes, Cardiac Disease and High Cholesterol.
For those looking to “rearrange” their bodies and make it look more proportioned and healthier, here are some tips on the types of exercises you can do to improve this look.
- Here’s an obvious one, eat healthier. If your fat is depositing in your upper body, then it’s no different than the person with the pear shape, whose fat rests on her butt. She then has to do more squats, lunges and cardio to build muscle, shape and tone. So, for those that have the Humpty Dumpty syndrome, eating healthy will help you lose fat, which is what you’ll need before you start seeing some difference in your body shape.
- Lift weights. Ok, so I see where this is going. If your upper body is big, why should you lift more weights? Actually, muscle will improve the way your look as you start losing weight and toning some of the flab. It will also help to do squats and lunges and build the lower body. Bulking the muscles in the lower legs will help create some proportion to the upper body, therefore decreasing the wider look. Lifting also improves metabolism, strengthen bones and helps lose fat.
- Do cardio, and lots of it. Humpty’s upper body is mostly fat. You will need to burn that fat before even entertaining continuous weight training. Once you have burned what you feel is comfortable and ideal for you, then start training with some light weights. Contracting a personal trainer might be a good idea at this time so you can be guided in the right direction with your workouts.
- Drink Protein. TokkyoNutrition has two delicious proteins in Vanilla and Chocolate flavors. Protein is EVERYWHERE in our bodies, so it will help you to replenish and feed those muscles during intense workouts. It also helps increase metabolism and muscle mass.
- If you had an intense workout the day before, do something active and fun the day after, but the trick is to keep your body moving. Going back to the fast food joint and the couch can only jeopardize the work you’ve done and get you back into bad habits. Don’t sabotage yourself.
- Make it fun and make it work for you. If you don’t like running, try walking on the treadmill, instead. If you don’t like the stationary bike, then use the elliptical. There is really no excuse when there is an array of exercise equipment at the gym. Can’t afford a gym membership, please visit TokkyoNutrtion.com and read my blog Working out on a Budget from 3/20/19. There I provide some really good tips on how to work out with DIY equipment and still get the benefits of a gym workout.
- Increase your water intake. If you already drink 32 ounces of water a day, increase this by 8 ounces a day until you reach 64 ounces daily. It does not only have to be water. It can also be any drink such as green tea, iced tea, or even better, lemon or cucumber water. 1 gallon of water, ½ sliced cucumber, few chunks of ginger and 2 fresh squeezed lemon; is a great recipe idea for refreshing water. Let sit for 24 hours and enjoy the next day.
- Remove sugar, but not all sugar. Stay away from mainly sodas (or tonic), candy and cakes. I enjoy a few pieces of York peppermint patty every day or a bottle of water with Crystal Light or Propel flavor packets. You can add this to your daily hydration.
- Life happens and you will trip and make a few bad choices. Don’t beat yourself over it and get back on track. If you have a craving, then feed it but don’t feed a craving every day. It will just encourage you to go back to your bad habits.
- Finally, rest and sleep as much as you can. When you first start working out and dieting, you will feel exhausted. Remember your body will need time to adjust to the difference in food intake and activity and you will be exhausted. Rest will be significant in muscle recovery and will further assist with gaining more stamina and endurance.
There is really no magic pill. It takes hard work and determination so the science behind it all is a positive attitude and a willingness to change the way you look.
This platform is meant to educate Tokkyo Nutrition consumers with the information needed to help you stay mentally and physically healthy.
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT US AND OUR GREAT PRODUCTS, PLEASE VISIT US AT TOKKYONUTRITION.COM FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM AND POST YOUR THOUGHTS AND IDEAS. WE LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU!!